At Shorecrest Preparatory School, a private college preparatory school in St. Petersburg, Florida, our youngest students (ages 3 & 4) discover the wonders of the world around them in our preschool program. Loving teachers create a nurturing environment in which children safely begin their journey as confident, curious lifelong learners.
We are committed to:
- Fostering a child’s natural love of learning
- Recognizing and respecting the unique personality, learning style and cultural background of each child
- Providing learning opportunities that lead to the development of self-confidence, the willingness to take risks and the critical thinking and problem solving abilities that help children achieve their individual creative and academic potential
- Helping develop the social skills and empathy needed to be caring, respectful and responsible individuals
- Ensuring that the preschool experience is one the children and families will reflect upon with great joy
How do I choose the best program for my child?
There are many choices between simply staying at home, daycare or preschool. This checklist may help you to determine what to look for in your search.
Does the program have an educational focus that builds a foundation for future learning?
Do the teachers have college degrees in Early Childhood Education?
Is there year-round learning, including summer programs?
Are extended hours available?
Do the children appear to be happy and engaged?
Is hands-on, experiential learning taking place?
Are speaking, critical thinking and problem solving skills being developed?
Are activities individualized so they are appropriate for each child’s learning style and level of development?
Are children introduced to the use of technology for learning?
Is there a full-time nurse at school?
Is there continuity so that your child may attend the school through 12th grade?
Do students have the opportunity for cooperative learning experiences and role modeling with older students?
Is respect for all cultures demonstrated and taught in the classroom?
Is there an emphasis on empathy, respect and the importance of helping others?
Click here to print a more complete checklist that you can take with you as you tour schools.
Since beginning at Shorecrest, the JK program and all the educators have exceeded all of our expectations. We are especially impressed with the real world approach to learning. Our child has had many amazing hands on experiences from gardening to exploring adventures. The explosion of growth, confidence and excitement in our child is priceless! The greatest testament is the huge smile on her face knowing she’ll spend the day at Shorecrest!”
- Kristy and Neil Williams
- Southern Association of Schools and Colleges
- Florida Council of Independent Schools
- Florida Kindergarten Council
- NAIS ~ National Association of Independent Schools
- SAIS ~ Southern Association of Independent Schools
- CASE ~ Council for Advancement and Support of Education
- ERB ~ Educational Records Bureau
- NHS ~ National Honor Society
- CLS ~ Cum Laude Society
89% of them graduated with High Honors.